Paying customers aren’t the only ones who enjoy your restaurant’s food! Commercial kitchens can attract pests by providing food, moisture, warmth and places to hide. The risks presented by pest infestations are essentially twofold. Primarily, pest presence threatens food safety. Many pests can be carriers of diseases and pathogens that can be transferred to food and food surfaces within your kitchen. Secondly, pest presence puts your brand reputation at risk. The sight of a single rodent or cockroach can severely damage your brand’s status and impact your bottom line.
Common Pests Found in Commercial Kitchens
Knowledge is a very powerful asset within pest prevention efforts. Because pest management professionals aren’t at the restaurant location every day, it is important for company employees to be aware of common pests and their behaviors so they can accurately report any pest sightings or findings back to their technician. Common pests found in commercial kitchens include, but are not limited to, cockroaches, rodents, flies, stinging insects, stored product pests and ants. Keep in mind that pest activity can vary depending on the restaurant location.
In addition to being knowledgeable about common pests, there are other steps businesses can take to reduce the risk of a pest infestation.
- Store all food in sealed, pest-proof containers to keep odors in and reduce the attraction.
- Ensure hard-to-reach places, like behind and under appliances, are clean and free of debris.
- Keep hard-to-move kitchen equipment on rollers to make it easier to clean around them.
- Make sure there is no standing water, leaking pipes or dripping faucets.
- Replace cracked wall and floor tiles and seal gaps around any fixtures or pipes.
- Watch for signs of pest activity in the kitchen, such as droppings and chew or bite marks.
Protect Your Brand
If you are interested in learning more about restaurant pest control, contact us! Copesan is here to serve you and cater to your location’s specific needs. Our comprehensive Culinary Care program, specifically designed for the foodservice industry, helps you achieve a pest-free environment and provides ultimate brand protection.