Keeping pests out of your commercial facility is so much more than finding the right pesticides or materials and then attacking the problem pests. It is a delicate balance of many different factors including exclusion techniques, sanitation, inspections, trapping, education and an experienced Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialists who document and communicate all services. All of these elements add up to our environmentally responsible IPM program, a service which helps eliminate any current pests in your commercial facility while making your property unfit for invading pests in the future. With this in mind, there are many tips for pest proofing that we can offer your commercial facility to rectify conditions conducive to pest activity through various non-chemical, proactive techniques.
Tips for pest proofing your commercial facility include:
- Implement a daily cleaning schedule for each department of your facility and have special cleaning crews dismantle major machines regularly for internal cleaning and sanitizing.
- Inspect incoming materials closely, especially in food plants. Make sure materials are completely free from insect or rodent infestation before acceptance.
- Keep raw materials separate from other materials and stored in areas that are monitored for deterioration.
- Outside the facility, keep the immediate 50-foot area free of litter and idle storage. Foliage should be no longer than 3 inches high and proper drainage should be created if not present.
- Remove foliage within 2 feet of the perimeter of your facility. Instead of foliage, consider small rock gravel at a depth of 3-5 inches on perforated plastic to deter invading pests.
- Use non-insect attracting outdoor lighting; sodium vapor lighting is preferred.
- Use outdoor lights that are not attached to the immediate building, especially not near doors.
- Keep indoor lights clean and shielded from pests that may be attracted to the warmth.
- Doors and windows should be tightly closed when not in use. If possible, install flexible rubber sealing devices around doors and nylon screens in doors and windows.
- Avoid storing products near windows.
- Clean trash containers and provide timely trash removal (at least weekly, but twice a week during warmer months). When not in use, trash containers should remain covered.
These are just a few of the many pest-proofing tips we can offer your facility. For more on pest-proofing and our IPM program, contact the professionals at Copesan.
Founded in 1958, it is our mission to satisfy the unique pest management needs of businesses across the country as well as across the world. We are proud of our commitment to providing consistent, effective pest solutions to our commercial clients, no matter where you are located. And, with more than 100 degreed technical specialists, Copesan offers you have direct access to our vast industry knowledge.
No matter what kind of facility you run and no matter what pest problems you are facing, we have the expertise and knowledge to assist you. Contact us today for more information on the services provided by Copesan.