A warm summer evening in our world means enjoying drinks outside, dining out at your favorite restaurant or stargazing. In the pest world, it can mean something entirely different. In the warm summer months, the setting sun brings out lots of little insects. Insects like millipedes, roaches, pill bugs, and ground beetles all come out for the evening hours, while mosquitoes, moths and other insects are seeking our blood or are attracted to artificial lighting. Cockroaches will travel to warm, moist environments during hot summer nights, especially if they are having trouble finding suitable environments outside of our homes and businesses.
When it comes to protecting your commercial property from nighttime summer pests, there are a few precautions you can take. These can include installing insect light traps, replacing white lights with yellow sodium vapor lighting around entry doors and eliminating possible entry gaps or holes in the exterior.
Modifications to Prevent Pests
- Create a regular sanitation regime to eliminate food sources that hungry insects may be seeking.
- Run a dehumidifier in especially moist or damp environments to make them less habitable for pests like roaches.
- Don’t store products or equipment directly on the ground or the floor; keep it raised up off the floor to keep insects out.
- Have your indoor trash taken outdoors regularly; empty the outside dumpster daily, especially during the summer months.
- Keep trash receptacles clean and make sure they always have a plastic liner; always keep the lid of the trash receptacle clean.
- Enlist the help of a pest management professional (PMP) for regular service treatments. They can also identify pest pressures that are specific to your structure or facility throughout every season.
When it comes to controlling pests in commercial environments, it is best to have a PMP complete a thorough inspection. This will help determine the appropriate pest management solutions unique to your facility. The needs of your business are not the same as others, even in the same industry. To establish an integrated pest management plan that will suit you, the pros at Copesan will work closely with you and your employees to determine what pests are plaguing you and find ways to keep them out.
Although insects tend to be more active in the summer, that doesn’t mean your facility needs to be overrun by hungry roaches and slithering millipedes. Contact the professionals at Copesan to learn more about the commercial pest control solutions we offer and to schedule your first inspection.